(updated 25 Aug 2021)
For media industry – 25 Aug 2021
- All companies carrying out media content production activities must comply with the Mandatory Safety Rules published by IMDA.
- The Comprehensive Safety Measures contains a list of practical recommendations media companies and professionals can adopt during this period.
- Request for free Antigen Rapid Test kits for screen talents for high contact scenes (limited stocks)
PLEASE NOTE: The Multi-Ministry Taskforce (MTF) announced on 6 August 2021 that Singapore would transition out of the Phase 2 – Heightened Alert phase starting from 10 August 2021, followed by more changes from 19 August 2021. Media companies with SSIC codes starting with 58 to 63 will continue their business activities.
(a) All media content productions may proceed with no more than 50 personnel on location, including no more than 20 onscreen talent/performers (who may be unmasked if necessary), at any given time.
(b) Filming or recording of “live” singing is allowed with no more than 2 singers (out of the total onscreen talent/performers) unmasked at any given time, and must observe a 2-metre safe distancing from the next person. If all 50 personnel (talent/performers/crew) have “cleared status”* on set of shoot day, the number of singers permitted for the shoot is capped at the 20 onscreen talent/performers limit.
(c) Unmasking dispensations are to be kept strictly to the fixed cast of onscreen talent/performers (not interchangeable with other non-onscreen performing roles) for the entire production.
(d) No on-site audiences should be present on location; all personnel should comprise only talent/performers (i.e. cast) and crew.
(e) There should not be more than 5 distinct visitors per day for occupied households under social gathering rules, which may affect filming.
*An individual is considered vaccinated i.e. “cleared status” if the person has: a) been fully vaccinated (i.e. has received the full regimen of Pfizer-BioNTech/Comirnaty, Moderna or WHO Emergency Use Listing vaccines, with an additional two weeks for the vaccine to be fully effective); b) recovered from COVID-19; or c) has obtained a negative result on a Pre-Event Test taken in the past 24 hours before the expected end of the event.
Given the higher level of community spread during current Phase 2 – Heightened Alert, the media industry is committed to more frequent testing to protect onscreen talents (fully vaccinated or otherwise), who are unmasked and are required to film close contact scenes. IMDA is supportive of this approached. These onscreen talents or productions hiring them may approach the Association of Independent Producers or the Singapore Association of Motion Picture Professionals, to request for Antigen Rapid Testing kits to use, during this ongoing Heightened Alert period.
Meanwhile, below are some practical guides and recommendations for media companies and professionals.
Put together by a working group of Singapore media industry professionals (including SAMPP) together with IMDA, this Comprehensive COVID-19 Safety Measures v5.1 document contains a list of practical recommendations media companies and professionals can adopt during this period.
Covid-19 Safety Advisory developed by Janice Koh & Tan Kheng Hua in consultation with the Screen Talent community and endorsed by the Singapore Association of Motion Picture Professionals
General International Safety Guidelines
Here are some other safety recommendations for media productions from various countries for reference.
- Philippines Film Development Council – Interim Guidelines
- Norway VIRKE Safety Guidelines
- ITV/BBC/Sky/etc Safety Guidance
- Lionsgate Safety Guidelines
- Screen Producers Australia – COVID-10 Fact Sheet – Practical Workplace Measures / (direct pdf link)
- Sweden & Denmark Production Guidelines
- BECTU Film & TV recovery plan
- NZ ScreenSafe COVID-19 H&S – Endorsed – Standard
- NZ ScreenSafe COVID-19 H&S – Endorsed – Protocols (19 May 2020) latest updated information here
- NZ Govt WorkSafe COVID-19 Risk Assessment Safety Plan
- Production Equipment Rental Group (PERG) Safe Return to Work Guidelines & Sanitisation Guides from various equipment manufacturers (ARRI, RED, Sony, Zeiss, etc)
BROADCAST JOURNALISM / DOCUMENTARY FILMMAKERS
- VARIETY: ‘Neighbours’ Iconic Australian Soap Opera Resumes Production
- DEADLINE: Australia’s ‘Neighbours’ Sets Safety Protocols As It Resumes Production; First Show Back Could Be Road Map For Others
- ABC News: Making TV in the coronavirus pandemic: Why the television industry is watching what Neighbours does next